Castle Location And Free Car Parking
Sudeley Castle GL54 5LP is situated in Winchcombe, Gloucestershire – 8 miles north east of Cheltenham or just 10 miles east of junction 9 of the M5. Go to the centre of Winchcombe. All entry is via Vineyard Street. There is ample Free Car Parking and stewards will be there to assist you.
Festive Food And Cheer!
There is the opportunity to purchase delicious food and drink both at the start and during the trail. Mulled Wine, Hot Chocolate and a variety of hot scrumptious food will be available from the Visitor Centre and on the Castle Terrace.
To enjoy this outdoor Spectacle to the full, it is important to be warm and dress appropriately. Please wear outdoor clothing and sturdy footwear.
Accessibility, Mobility And Specific Needs
- We have tried our best to make the event open to anyone who wishes to attend. The route follows the normal paths around the grounds and is accessible to those with reduced mobility and specific needs. Some paths can be a little uneven and care should be taken at all times. There are only two places on the route that are not accessible to mobility scooters and wheelchair users. Stewards are on hand to guide and help
- Personal caring assistants must be over 16 years of age and capable of supporting their companion with specific needs in the event of an emergency or evacuation of the area
- There is an accessibility drop off and pickup point close to the Visitor Centre which is both the entrance and exit of the Spectacle
- Assistance Dogs are permitted at the Spectacle. No other pets are admitted
- Child buggies are not encouraged due to possible congestion. Carrying a small child in a body harness is advised
Photography And Video Recording
- Spectacle of Light welcomes photographers and video recordists to Sudeley Castle
- All visitors are invited to capture and video their Spectacle of Light experience on cameras and smart phones for personal use and sharing via social media
- Photography for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited
- Anyone found using content for promotional or commercial purposes must have a prior written agreement from Sudeley Castle and DB Partnership or they will be in breach of copyright and could face legal action
- If using professional photographic equipment and tripods please adhere to the following guidelines to ensure that you do not obstruct or diminish the enjoyment of others at the event
- Please stay on the designated route keeping away from the water features and off the grass where there may be unseen electrical equipment and cabling
- Persons, equipment, materials or stools must not cause damage to plants and the garden environment
- Please do not impede the movement, access or view of other visitors to the event with tripods or other equipment
- All equipment and any litter or waste material must be cleared away immediately after the photography is completed
- Sudeley Castle and the organisers of Spectacle of Light shall not be liable for loss of or damage to your equipment or possessions or be liable for damages, compensation and claims resulting from the photography
- All photography for press or online publications should be credited to Sudeley Castle Spectacle of Light
Safety At The Spectacle Of Light
You are free to explore the sights and sounds of the Spectacle at your own pace but for your enjoyment and safety, certain guidelines should be observed.
Coronavirus update – we will be following the latest government guidance on social distancing.
Spectacle of Light is an outdoor event held during winter with unpredictable weather so please take some time to read the following advice:
- Please keep to the pathways at all times and for your own safety, do not walk on the grass or go close to the water features
- Some of the pathways can be uneven and there are a few sets of short steps on the route. Please proceed with care at all times
- Do not touch any of the electrical or lighting equipment at any time
- Smoking is strictly prohibited at the event
- Dogs and other pets are strictly prohibited. Only Assistance dogs are permitted
- Any children under 16 should be accompanied by an adult. Particular attention must be taken with children under 5, ensuring they are always close to and under the control of a responsible adult as there are potential hazards off the designated route
- Please be aware that parts of the route involve steps that are not particularly suitable for buggies that may cause congestion. If you have an option, it is better for very young children to be carried in a harness
- As the paths can be a little uneven and could be muddy, please wear sturdy shoes or boots
- As an extra precaution, one member of your group could have a torch or a Smartphone torch which can be used in the unlikely event of a power down
- If a power down occurs, please follow the advice and direction of the stewards who will direct you to an appropriate area of safety and advise you when you can continue your walk
Conditions under which the event could be cancelled.
Inevitably bad weather can affect any open-air event. No refunds will be offered if the weather is inclement but the event is safe to go ahead.
Spectacle of Light would only be cancelled if:
- Severe weather that would make the route itself unsafe, such as high winds exceeding 30mph
- Very heavy snow is forecast which would make routes to the event unsafe
- There was a major fault in our electrical supply or equipment.
A decision to cancel the event would be taken at 2pm on the day of the event. Shortly after that we would endeavour to contact you by email, a notice would be posted on the home page of our website and updates would be issued through the Sudeley Castle’s social media channels.
If you are concerned about the weather conditions on the evening of your visit, please check the website to confirm that the event is going ahead.
Spectacle of Light is an outdoor event and will not be cancelled due to rain or extreme cold. Visitors are advised to dress appropriately for the weather conditions.
In the event of a cancellation, we would attempt to re-allocate your tickets to an alternative evening. However if this is not possible and you would prefer a refund, payment will be made to you within 14 days.
This paragraph explains how we use any information you give to us through our website or Apps, and the ways in which we protect your privacy.
We collect certain information or data about you when you use our website or our Apps. This includes:
- questions, queries or feedback you leave, including your email address if you send an email to SpectacleofLight.co.uk
- your IP address, and details of which version of web browser you used
- information on how you use the site, using cookies and page tagging techniques to help us improve the website
- details to allow you to access our services and transactions e.g. an email address (you’ll always be told when this information is being collected, and it will only be used for the purpose you provide it for)
This helps us to:
- improve the site by monitoring how you use it
- respond to any feedback you send us, if you’ve asked us to
- provide you with information about our services if you want it
- request sensitive permissions like accessing the camera, microphone, contacts or data on your phone
Spectacle of Light occasionally uses photography containing visitors attending the event for social media and marketing purposes. Separate permission will be sought from any identifiable individuals before the images are used.